Monday, November 23, 2009

Days Two to Five, In Which Nothing Much Happens

Days two and three were more eventful:

Day Two

Last Friday, I went with Jeanne to the Goethe Institut Open House, celebrating the opening of their newly constructed/ renovated library. Although it was a little boring in the afternoon (we had bad timing and got stuck in one of the less fun parallel activities), we did get to hear Imago, Julianne (who?), and Kalayo perform live. There was excellent German food for dinner (liver soup, bratwurst, sauerkraut, kartoffelsalat), and afterwards there was dancing. (That was more than a little odd, and it didn't help that the director of the Institut as well as the German ambassador joined in at some point!)


Day Three

Then on Saturday we went to The Fort to watch the first night of the Pyro Olympics. Despite the unexpected rainy weather, it was wonderful (fireworks usually are). This year, the competition also involved music, adding an extra dimension to the spectacle. Germany and China performed that night. Personally, I thought that while China's presentation was more consistently in sync and a little cleaner, Germany made up for it by having bursts of creativity amidst the so-so rest of their presentation. (And perhaps Germany's music was a little more familiar to our Westernized ears?)


Day Four

Sunday was a lazy day like every Sunday seems fated to be.


Day Five

And now it's Monday. What have I accomplished? Well, to be fair, I have been applying for various part-time online gigs (transcription, article writing) to help finance my (brief?) break from full-time employment. I have also been downloading and browsing references on Java (but I haven't been practicing much, hum).

I could go easy on myself and say that I'm still adjusting to the unemployed life, that I've never really developed any significant amount of self-discipline, and so on, and so forth... But, in short, I haven't done much, and certainly not enough to justify my resignation (if it needed justification of this sort).

Alright, today will be the day for making more specific and concrete plans, at least for the rest of the year (i.e., the month of December). Must not let self be defeated by the break = vacation mentality - I'm not (just) a student anymore!

No comments:

Post a Comment