Monday, October 06, 2008

I therefore conclude... (or, Y SO SRS?)

...after some deliberation and thoughtful conversation:

1. I am not as smart as I think I am.

2. I should not stop striving to meet the high standards that I believe I should be meeting. The magna cum laude I'll most probably be getting when I graduate, to be perfectly frank, means little to me, because it could have easily been summa, and because I know, personally, that I haven't been performing as well as I possibly could have been.

I have been lowering my standards (or at least reasoning to myself that these lower standards do exist and are just as valid) in justification of my natural laziness, it seems to me now.

3. I should stop regretting the past, or at least turn this regret into more productive, forward-looking avenues. I can't do anything about my shortcomings in the past, but I can still do something to ensure that my future performance will be better.

4. Contentment is different from satisfaction. One gets satisfaction from fulfilling a goal or meeting a need; contentment is a subtler thing having to do with how one looks at the world.

5. Now that I think about it, contentment seems more suited to my temperament than goal-driven satisfaction. But where does that leave statement no. 2 above?

6. I suck at making conclusions.

No comments:

Post a Comment