Sunday, December 28, 2008

It's that time again.

Having witnessed far too many times the power of negative habit formation, and realizing that the first half of this thesis semester is coming alarmingly close to passing by without significant trace, it would only be logical to attempt to reverse trajectory by harnessing the power of positive habit formation. In fact an attempt was made, early this semester, to facilitate the formation of good work habits through the creation of a detailed schedule balancing the required academic work with other pursuits. However, truth be told, absolutely nothing came of it. 

Although figuring out the details of the schedule was fun in its own way, it seemed that once it was actually finished and all set I lost all interest in following it. This could of course be put down simply to a disappointing lack of effort on my part, but I like to think that it could also be because of some personal incompatibility with rigid schedules. Of course, though helpful, a set schedule is not strictly necessary for habit formation. At least I've tried it, though I've got nothing to show for it now.

As the holiday season begins to wind down somewhat and the resumption of school approaches, I can't help but feel the need to give it another try. I have to finish my thesis in a few months, and with my work habits as nonexistent as they are now, I doubt I'll be able to do it. I do realize that to some extent my productivity will be boosted by the pressure that's sure to increase as the deadline creeps even closer, but I'd rather not rely on that effect alone.

I find that I almost always feel a small rush of hope (or more precisely, a kind of giddiness at the limitlessness of personal possibility quickly overcome by the crushing mediocrity of my actual reality) whenever I contemplate putting some new self-improvement plan into action. More often than not it's not due to the actual plan, but just due to the intention, the realization that, hey, some things may actually be under my control, after all. I'm not exactly sure whether my own experience has borne these realizations out.

I'm going to start small, now, and proceed in measured steps. I want to see where that leads me. First, over the next week I will get into the habit of waking up at 6 am or earlier, getting out of bed and doing some sort of exercise. Jumping rope with miscellaneous dumbbell exercises will do for now, until I feel ready to use the weights machine again. I won't force myself to exercise for any particular duration or at any particular intensity, I'm hoping there'll be time enough for that when the habit is already formed.

Also, I will dust off the old thesis/physics/research notebooks and also organize the various research-related files and documents languishing in their near-forgotten folders. I will make a point of spending at least a few thirty-minute or one-hour sessions every day just sitting down and going over my thesis materials. Progress on my thesis is obviously more urgent than progress with my physical fitness, but I still feel I should prioritize habit formation over quick results, and overly pressuring myself is bound to do more harm than good in this regard.

Lastly, I will resume blogging more regularly, daily if possible. This will serve as a form of writing practice, as well as "thinking practice". Again, I won't expect too much of myself for the first few weeks, just getting into the habit will be good enough for me.

And that should be it, for now. I suppose it could be considered a little too unambitious to be called a self-improvement plan, and even I would agree that it is, but then again it's supposed to be only the beginning. Okay, so for tonight I'll let myself off the hook and goof around, say one last goodbye to the lethargic holiday spirit. *tear*

No comments:

Post a Comment