Sunday, November 18, 2007

I should've known it would come to this.

I wear glasses now, and, yeah, I suppose we do look more like the dorks that we are. (Although people tell me that the glasses look good enough on me.) To think that I used to pride myself on not having to wear glasses despite the constant reading and computer use. Hah.

In fact, though, I could survive without these glasses. The only problem I have is astigmatism, which only introduces some distortions in the details - between small or faraway letters, for example. So being without glasses, for me, wouldn't mean that I wouldn't be able to see anything anymore. Without glasses, everything would still be (more or less) in focus.

Nonetheless, there was a moment of disbelief, when I was having my eyes checked and the optometrist dropped the right lenses into the test glasses I was wearing. Clarity, man. It's true that you never notice your eyesight going bad, since you tend to assume that it's still normal how you can't read that sign properly (you're just too far away), and so on.

Anyway, yes, glasses. Still getting used to them. Why do I suspect that I'll be losing or breaking them in the near future?



What else is new? It's a new semester, and I've 18 units, 6 of which are GE units. I was supposed to take Bio 11 this sem, but CRS didn't see it fit to grant me a class, so... I'm still debating whether to take it over the summer or next semester.



Sometimes there is the urge to make creative nonfiction out of my life, but frankly it looks like it's going to take more embellishment than allowable to make the results entertaining. I'm too... middle-of-the-road. No great struggle, but no great triumph, either. Blah. This is why I suppose sometimes I think that I don't challenge myself enough. Whenever I do try to get more things done, though, laziness usually gets the better of me. It's a vicious, vicious cycle.

I think I might try out the GTD (Getting Things Done) approach to organizing tasks and projects and such. As of the moment, have read a little bit about it, and have some grasp on the basic concepts. Am trusting that looking at various (free) programs available will be enough to get me started on a decent facsimile of the system.

I'm sure there's a way to make laziness work. Laziness sometimes breeds efficiency, after all.

1 comment:

  1. the glasses, i suppose, make you look a little bit more serious than usual. other than that, it seemed more unnatural, actually, that a person with your reading habits *wouldn't* need glasses, so when i saw them i thought you'd had them for a while and just didn't like wearing them often of something..

    good luck with the GTD.^^ it's a little too complex for me (with the next actions and projects and waiting lists) but i did pick up a few things, such as the Someday/Maybe list, and the habit of always always having a pen and paper on your person. (although this isn't intrinsic to gtd, it validated my bathroom notepads.)

    i also tried the Pile of Index Cards system, with the icons and time stamps. hipster PDA din. there was a time when gtd/moleskine hacks/productivity pr0n (such as here) was my crack. most recent was this one. nakakabaliw after a while.

    what i'm using now though is closest to the zenhabits one, which is almost a non-system.:p i have 2 cards: one master list, and another "Today" one that has two things (three is sometimes too hard :( ) that i abso-positively-lutely must get done that day. the rest are just bonus points.

    anyWAY. let me hear about how your system works okay? okay? okay. ^^

    ReplyDelete