Sunday, November 04, 2007

Pretty Eventful Sembreak, I guess.

I didn't really get a chance to just bum around the house like I do on breaks.

October 24-26, I was at Los Banos for the Samahang Pisika ng Pilipinas (SPP) Congress. It was an instructive and fun experience, in some unexpected ways perhaps. Got to spend a lot of time with the batchmates, as well as gain a sort of new perspective on the condition of physics here in the Philippines. (Although I can't be sure that the event provided a good enough representative sample.)

On Friday, the 26th, the last day of the SPP Congress, I then met up with some other friends (whose names, I guess, I don't need to mention here) to enjoy a night at one of the many hot springs resorts nearby. First time I ever really puked because of alcohol, but one can always insist that the better moments were worth it, I don't know. As far as drunken nights go, it was rather fun. Also found that my body mass gives me a decent tolerance for the stuff.

Then on the Monday directly after this started the workshop sessions with Dr. Muriel. He's a physicist who's now retired from all official academic positions (he's 67), but still continues to do research work. He gave a talk at the SPP Congress about his work in developing a molecular theory of turbulence, and a few of us students and Sir Perry have been meeting with him to work and explore and try to flesh out the theory a bit.

It's been fun, not only because Dr. Muriel pretty much pays for everything (brings us food, etc.), but also because, well, we wouldn't really have been productive, research-wise, without his prodding. Haha. He even plans to have us give a talk in La Salle on Tuesday (the 6th), summarizing what we've accomplished so far (which he assures us is significant, especially for just a week of work). I don't know, I'll have to work on this, work with the others.

It's nice enough to be back home after this period of sudden busy-ness. Basically today's the only day I got to spend just lazing about in my room, rereading old favorites (finished the first two books of the original Dune series, working on the third) and messing about on the computer.

Tomorrow is the start of registration for the next semester, imagine that. *stretches, yawns*

No comments:

Post a Comment