Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Transcript v1.1

>look
You appear to be in some sort of virtual world. The surroundings are hazy and indistinct. Opposite you is a man in glasses, looking bored.

>inventory
You are carrying nothing, or at least nothing that would be of the least conceivable use here, sorry.

>examine surroundings
Hazy and indistinct. (I told you already, sheesh.)

>examine man
He is a youngish man with shortish black hair and brown skin. Perhaps in his early twenties, he stands a bit taller and a bit wider than you do. Thin-frame glasses, thin mustache, a beard beginning to get scraggly, and a quiet air.

You feel like he'd answer your questions.

>examine hair
Just long enough to be parted down the (nearly) middle, his hair invites the touch of a hand, fingers to smoothly run through the silken strands or to tousle them good-naturedly.

>examine my hair
Oh, your hair? Same as always, I suppose.

>ask man about virtual world
"New here?" he asks with a smile.

"This is what I tell most people: it's better, on the whole, to not think anymore about how and why you got here. Everything will return to normal, eventually, so just enjoy your stay."

>ask man about escape
"Inevitable, but you can't hurry it. Relax."

>ask man about surroundings
He peers around through his glasses, then back at you, before replying, "I don't know, they seem to be as ill-described as always."

In demonstration, he walks away from you and you watch him grow smaller and smaller before he disappears - and reappears behind you.

"Some crazy topology, eh? Sometimes I think this place reacts to your expectations of it," he muses.

>fly
You fly around for a while. Yay you. Much too quickly the novelty fades (no wind here, or indeed any sort of reference for your motion save the stationary - and much amused - man), and you drift to a stop back where the man is standing.

>ask man about the meaning of life
"42," he promptly answers. "Don't people read, nowadays?"

>what am i doing here?
Sorry, I couldn't parse that.

>ask man about man
"Well, I guess I'm the author around here, yeah," he says to you. "Although, truth be told, I haven't been writing anything much lately, except for some short-lived interactive fiction."

>ask man about interactive fiction
The author sighs.

>ask man about interactive fiction
"Yes, fine, I admit that I underestimated it," the author says, after some more prodding. He runs a hand through his silky, wonderful-smelling hair (you feel like touching it yourself!)

"The ideas I had don't seem to be fleshed out enough, yet, to be worth giving the amount of time and effort that creating interactive fiction, as I found out, would require. I think I need to plan and think about this a bit more. In the meantime, I can find diversions enough to keep me in business."

>ask man about hair
(instead touching the hair)
Soft strands curl around your fingers, and you touch warm scalp. He does not protest, but is visibly uncomfortable at your intrusion.

When you withdraw your hand, he speaks up, "Why do people keep doing that? There must be something wrong with the parser."

The author becomes lost in thought.

>tell man sorry
The author is lost in thought, and doesn't seem to notice you.

>ask man about thought
The author is lost in thought, and doesn't seem to notice you.

>shake man
The author is lost in thought, and doesn't seem to notice you.

>escape
The author is lost in thought, and doesn't seem - oh, crap, sorry, I mean

You didn't think it'd be that easy, did y -

- well fine okay okay -

(Author's note: there, fixed it!)

****You have won the game****

Finally, you find something better to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment