Sunday, February 03, 2008

Watchmen

We got ourselves a copy of Alan Moore's Watchmen recently, and I have to say that it really is some piece of work. It's immersive, richly detailed, populated with complex, interesting characters, clever, and eminently worth rereading. (Which I am doing, once I get it back tomorrow. Whee.)

Moore himself says that structure was one of the major aspects of Watchmen: repeating motifs at various scales, the whole comic-within-a-comic, and so on. But even as a straight story, it would work, on the strength of its characterization and pacing.

(I also have to say that Alan Moore makes a pretty good interviewee; his interviews tend to be lively and engrossing.)

If only graphic novels weren't so expensive - but I'm beginning to see how the better ones might be more than worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment