Sunday, January 04, 2009

Domesticities: Milk, a simple (naive?) salad recipe; also, a small thesis update.

Some brands of fresh milk ranked in order of tastiness (personally):

Arce (carabao milk) > Nestle Premium > Mon Milk (sadly gone) > Bear Brand > Anchor > Alaska

I have the suspicion that this would also turn out to be in order of decreasing fat content. Fatty milk is fatty, but yummy. Also, including carabao milk in the ranking is somewhat unfair, as it's both much more expensive and tasty/fatty.

I write this because I keep forgetting which brand of milk to get when I'm at the supermarket. I've also tried Cowhead, and Paul's, and the non-premium Nestle brands of milk, but those are too far in the past for me to be able to remember and rank them.

The latest milk I bought, Alaska, wasn't creamy enough to make a good latte. The resulting drink seemed a little too watery for my taste, but not terribly so, I suppose. Hum.



I bought a bag of prepackaged greens recently, in an attempt to get myself to eat more leaves. I thought we had a lot of (mayo-based, Kraft, I think) dressing left in the fridge, but it turns out the few bottles still there were almost out. So I had to improvise for merienda this afternoon.

Bowlful of greens (arugula, romaine, and something else), torn by hand into shreds; a few tablespoons of dalandan juice, which I used only because there was a jar of the stuff in the fridge; a little bangus-in-spicy-corn-oil oil; a little of the bangus; dash of sugar; pinch of salt. 

Rather basic, but it was easy and quite edible. The dressing was probably a little healthier than mayo-based dressing, too. Needed pepper, I don't know why I forgot to add some. Could've been tarter, too, maybe calamansi or cane vinegar would be better acids to use.

This could be an alternative way to eat Spanish-style sardines or tuna in spicy oil (I love those!) and increase my vegetable intake in the process.



In other news, I've finally gotten around to starting actually writing my thesis. Despite still not having any new results, I realized I may as well start incorporating what I do have (from previous years' participation in SPP conferences) into the thesis template. Two months to draft deadline! D:

No comments:

Post a Comment