Thursday, February 11, 2010

Interiors (1978)

Interiors appears to be something of the odd one out among Woody Allen's films - it's a very spare, very bleak psychological drama ala Bergman. Incidentally, also the first Allen film I've ever seen.

Lots of still, lingering shots in muted greys and beiges and browns, making for a somber atmosphere. It's also shot fairly tight (not sure if that's the right term), with the characters feeling isolated, as in a play. The emphasis on dialogue and the playing out of the relationships between various characters only serves to reinforce the theatrical feel of the movie.

Wonderful performance by Geraldine Page as the artistic, unstable mother. I could really sense the tensions, the neuroses she was trying so mightily to keep under control.

One of the characters, Renata, is a successful poet, while another, her sister Joey, is a frustrated searcher for meaningful occupation. I found these two characters to be the most interesting ones in the film. I admire and envy Renata for her creative success, her ability to perceive and put things into the right words. On the other hand, I'm afraid of turning out like Joey - that person everyone thought was a great kid with a lot of potential, but, well, look at her now...

Renata:
"Do I really care if a handful of my poems are read after I'm gone? Is that supposed to be some sort of compensation? I used to think it was,but now, for some reason... I can't seem to shake the real implication of dying."

Joey:
"I feel a real need to express something but I don't know what it is I want to express or how to express it."

No comments:

Post a Comment