Thursday, August 16, 2007

Journal Entry Number Three

Replay

So these past two days have been eerily like last week's Wednesday and Thursday. Heavy rains on Wednesday, class suspension on Thursday. Normally this would be a good thing, but I don't know.

Our classes that are scheduled to meet on Mondays and Thursdays are falling behind. And there are two more Mondays of no classes scheduled this August alone: 20 and 27, I think. This is bad. This is just going to mean that we'll be scrambling to finish the topics when the end of the semester nears.

Also we were supposed to have an exam last Monday, which was moved to today, then to tomorrow, and now it's scheduled next week. I haven't studied yet, I suppose I should. It's actually a bit uncomfortable when exams are postponed, sometimes. Coupled with the no classes today. It seems like today should not have been a break, but it turned out to be one (with me just reading Butlerian Jihad almost all this afternoon). So, it's a bit odd.

(Well, despite it being a far cry from the original Dune series, I'm still reading the next book in this prequel series: The Machine Crusade. I don't know, I guess I just want to find out what happens. And they aren't really horrible books, once you take them for what they are: action-packed space opera masquerading under the Dune name for greater sales.)



No News

Well, nothing much of interest happened today, future self. Tried to study for the Optics exam (that was supposed to be tomorrow), but when somebody told me it was postponed, well...

I should really resist the temptation to go back to bed after getting up in the morning. I end up taking naps, and basically just lazing around almost all day, thinking that I really should get up and do something else, but not doing so.



Blogging

I have 570 entries on my Tabulas. (Link leads to the monthly archives.) I've kept it up for more than three years already, which seems like quite a long and, well, varied time, in retrospect.

It's quite fun to go back and consider that length of time, that period of my life that I've sporadically blogged about. I guess looking at my archives is one of the best ways for me to realize that I really do think that blogging is worthwhile.

I always get a renewed motivation to blog, just realizing that I already have a relatively extensive archive of the previous years. I can just imagine having an even greater archive, in the future. Wouldn't it be fun (or, at least, instructive) to be able to get into your past self's mind? Shoddy memory will not completely defeat me.

Even if I don't always remember exactly what I was thinking when I wrote all those past blog entries, just the feeling of resonance (for lack of a better term) is a bit nostalgic, a bit comforting, a sort of reminder that life goes on, that I'm still here.

I guess looking back would always make one curious about what the future is going to be like.



Journalling, Three!

So, I suppose "journalling" doesn't really have to be that much different from how I've been blogging, all this time. I suppose what's different is that I'm becoming more conscious about what things, exactly, I want to make a record of. It's becoming more intentionally a record of things that I think my future self would find interesting.

So the compromise is, I suppose, a bit of making these entries more... presentable? Although I'm not always conscious of doing so, I think that in these years of keeping a public blog my blogging "voice" has adjusted to take into account that, hey, other people actually read what I write here.

I've actually tried to keep a pen and paper journal, and, yeah, it's much different from writing something here. Sometimes I feel that I'm lazier, there, about being correct or precise or not redundant or not obscure. Which is to be expected, I suppose.



It's Getting a Bit Longer than Usual

I wonder if I should just split these sections into separate entries. It'd seem weird to me, but maybe eventually I'll get used to it? Or, hmm. Delay posting about things until I have something more significant or thought-out to say about them. Decisions, decisions. (Probably I'll just end up being too lazy to do anything different from what I've been used to doing, anyway.)



A Final Note, Promise!

I seem to have slipped back into my old blogging voice. Most interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment