Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Journal Entry Number Two

SPP

Otherwise known as the Samahang Pisika ng Pilipinas. But perhaps what is more relevant here is the 25th SPP Physics Congress about to be held soon.

Yay my paper is done. (Also, it's a bit odd, writing a journal here. Who am I writing for, myself, or yous guys? Can't... reconcile...)

So last night I began writing the paper in LaTeX, and finished most of the first draft before going to sleep. This morning I went to UP, to eventually meet Sir Perry at about 12 pm and ask for his comments on what I'd finished so far. Spent a few hours incorporating his suggestions and making other minor changes to the manuscript. By 3, I'd printed out a revised copy, and had Sir review it. He gave it the go signal and we submitted it using the online service at the SPP website.

Yay. My first actual original research paper. It isn't a particularly exciting or novel one, but it is my first. And having gone through the experience of writing one paper makes me a bit more comfortable about thinking of writing the (inevitable) next ones. (The thesis, though, is still a bit large in the future of my mind. That is, in the future, in my mind.)

If the manuscript gets approved, I'll get to go to the 3-day Congress! It should be an interesting experience.



Dragon fruit

I wasn't sure if this deserved its own heading, but there we are. My dad brought home some dragon fruits. They look like this (pictures are not mine, and plenty more could actually be Googled up, but hey here they are):



The rind can be peeled off by hand to reveal a round mass of fruit flesh dotted with small seeds, like those of a strawberry or kiwi. Tastewise, those are also the closest comparisons I can think of. Although dragon fruit flesh does seem a bit firmer than either, but I can't be sure. For some reason I am also reminded of pears.



It'd actually be good to use in shakes, and online sources say that it also makes for a good alcoholic drink. But apparently they are pretty rare, as the flower blooms only for one night, and hence has to be pollinated within that night in order to form the fruit. This translates to a cost of about thirty five pesos per fruit, which is a bit much, really. But once in a while, perhaps the novelty of the experience would be worth getting a few pieces.

This reminds me of that scene from some Miyazaki movie with the young girl and the pineapple. Her dad had bought the exotic (for them) fruit as a treat, but I think the particular fruit they get was not that sweet, or else they didn't find the taste much to their liking. So the girl (the protagonist, actually) goes and finishes everybody's servings, in a strange sort of maturity.



Journalling, Two

It still feels odd. I have the feeling that I could let myself go on in greater detail about things, but somehow I won't, out of respect for my readers, and, I don't know. Just because it doesn't seem like the kind of thing that I would actually do.

Although, I admit, the idea of having a relatively comprehensive record of life is appealing. Perhaps I should just look into getting a recorder? Haha. Naaah.

2 comments:

  1. the insides look like cookies and cream polvoron/ice cream! whee!

    the journaling oddness: hehe, nakakatuwa. don't worry, you are not alone. it's actually pretty common. have lots of articles discussing the public-private balance thing, if you want. jill walker's, for starters.

    but i know you don't want a long treatise, so basically: you get used to it.:p after being all personal thoughts and insights for some time, sometimes you feel too exposed and you kinda clam up. (see justin hall case, among others). then after a while you feel repressed and the need to share, so you post something very personal again. it's almost like a cycle..

    heh, that's why i keep different blogs. so i have somewhere else to play while i'm getting over a certain phase. it's like being rich and having a summer house to move to when it gets colder. eh, i know mataas ang uni-blog/fidelity mo, so maybe you'll come up with your way.

    sorry sa mahabang comment.:p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that sounds familiar, I think I may have actually read some of the links you posted a while back about blogging and such. Hehe.

    I think I'll just have to come up with my own sort of balance. Or something.

    Who says I didn't want a long treatise? Haha. Interesting topic; maybe I could've used a long treatise to procrastinate on other things, or something, you know. :P

    ReplyDelete